R&D Scientist/Project Manager
Tessenderlo Group is a diversified industrial group that focuses on agriculture, valorizing bio-residuals, providing sustainable industrial and energy solutions. The group employs approximately 4,600 people, and recorded a consolidated revenue of 1.7 billion Euro in 2019.
Expertise and entrepreneurship, technical strength and know-how, curiosity and challenge are key for the Group to secure its position as a global leader in most of its products and markets. The Group believes that Innovation and R&D capabilities and mindset are indispensable for a successful future where every molecule counts and the Group is committed to building a strong R&D community with this mission in mind. Innovations Centers and technical support centers are located in Tessenderlo/Ham (BE), in Phoenix (US) and across the different Business Units globally.
The Agro Business segment (Business Units Violleau, Kerley International & Kerley, Inc.) manufactures value-adding fertilizers in order to support growers in realizing efficient and sustainable agriculture, in conventional as well as in organic farming. The Agro segment is active worldwide and has operational units in Europe and America. The Biovalorization Business segment (PB Leiner & Akiolis) produces ingredients as proteins and minerals with applications such as biofertilizers.
Tessenderlo Group is currently looking for an R&D Scientist/Project Manager with a background/experience in applied bio- or agrosciences to strengthen the R&D community for the Agro segment. He/she will translate the business needs and opportunities into R&D requirements. He/she will lead the projects towards key milestones. The focus will mainly be on the portfolio of innovation and R&D projects for the development and the growth of a fertilizers portfolio for organic farming. The R&D Scientist/Project Manager will report to the Vice President Innovation & IP (Belgium) and will actively cooperate with the Agro- and Bio-valorization Business Units and with the global R&D community. There will be a strong interaction with other scientists, Product Managers , the agronomists community and Intellectual Asset Managers within the Group. As a scientist, he/she will participate in international conferences, national and international projects or workgroups and is part of a multidisciplinary team that connects with existing and new customers.
The R&D Scientist/Project Manager will be part of the Tessenderlo Innovation Center team. The mission of the Tessenderlo Innovation Center is to support the growth and innovation strategy of the different business units by offering capabilities and skills for solid research and development, scientifically based project management, from prospection/feasibility studies over development and optimization studies, up to scale-up and process validation (pilot). Our goal is to create, develop and convert innovative ideas which make every molecule count into market-ready opportunities and in creating sustainable, future-proof technologies, products, applications & services. The Innovation Center currently employs 25 people, consists of R&D laboratories (food & non-food), a 8100 m2 Pilot Plant and a tooling workshop.
- You will bring on new ideas for innovating products, technologies & applications in the area of fertilizers for organic farming, based on your eye for science and technology. This means that you are passionate about bringing your ideas and science into reality and by making impact and progress in cross-disciplinary multicultural settings. You interact with and influence all stakeholders in your projects: colleagues with different scientific backgrounds and competences, like chemists, agronomists, bio-engineers, material scientists, chemical engineers as well as business and production functions
- You will network and be strongly linked internally and externally (scientific & business network). You will actively interact with current suppliers and identify and interact with potential future suppliers of alternative raw materials
- You will develop experimental plans and drive analytical method development for the lab teams within the R&D community, do the follow-up and manage the interaction of the R&D resources across the BU’s and the Innovation Centers
- You will investigate literature and patent landscape in preparation of a research project.
- As a change manager you will contribute towards a customer-oriented R&D organization and you will engage to enhance the BU and the Group’s innovative brand image
- You will advise or assist on aspects such as regulatory affairs, quality management, quality control and IP aspects in order to monitor and optimize quality and valorization potential of the developed products, projects and/or processes
- Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering (Agricultural Sciences), Professional Bachelor Agro- and Biotechnology, or related (bio)sciences degree with sufficient chemistry background
- Experience in agronomic crop trials with focus on organic and/or sustainable agriculture is a plus.
- Experience with fertilizer manufacture technology and application is a plus
- Knowledge of product registration dossier (e.g. OMRI, Ecocert,…) is a plus
- Multilingual, fluency in English and preferably Dutch, French as a plus
- Project Management experience: planning, analytical, prioritizing and organizing abilities
- People and change management experience including leading cross-functional teams
- Strong customer focus and ability to understand business needs
- Positive attitude and drive & proactive communication skills
- Ability to translate conceptual ideas and problems into experimental programs/set-ups
- Affinity with/experience in Intellectual Property (e.g. patents), regulatory affairs, quality management
- You show positive, entrepreneurial, courageous, connected, focused and decisive attitudes
Aanbod en voordelen
We offer you:
- We offer a full-time open ended contract and a competitve salary package with fringe benefits (car, group insurance, hospitalisation insurance and meal vouchers)
- You will be able to grow your network and experience level
- You will be working in a challenging, international environment.
- You will be working in a team with the right attitude and spirit to let you grow and succeed in your job