Software Engineer – Bioinformatics
Belgium-based Inbiose develops biotechnological processes using the proprietary Glycoactives platform to produce specialty carbohydrates such as human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs). We are committed to make these complex sugars available to a large set of industries such as infant formula, dietary supplements, functional food & beverages, pet food, …. to meet the global demand for healthy and sustainable food and feed ingredients. With two HMOs sold through our partnership with a global ingredient manufacturer, four other HMOs in regulatory development and many new products in pipeline, Inbiose is poised for high growth in the coming years. The company has been established in 2013 as spin-off from UGent University and has grown into a 50 FTE organisation.
At our core we are entrepreneurial, value integrity and ownership mentality and are committed to high ethical and safety standards.
More information about Inbiose can be found on inbiose.com
- Responsible for maintenance and development of software (internally developed and third party), and in-house databases.
- Collaborate closely with the bioinformatics and wet lab teams to design, engineer, and implement analytics pipeline solutions in R and Python. Basic front-end skills can help to build a GUI, making code accessible to everyone.
- Develop and implementation of software using TDD and versioning.
- Expand current and build new dataflows to speedup new and running research projects.
- Contribute to bioinformatics research
- Communicate effectively with collaborators (computational and bioinformatics scientists on R&D and production teams, IT/HPC, wet lab staff) to understand and satisfy product and research analysis needs.
- Provide training for the developed/implemented software/tools for (internal) users.
Your profile :
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related fields with 5 years of experience, experience in life science is a plus.
- Working in a team, self-motivation, ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, ability to solve problems independently
- Strong analytical thinking to dissect the needs of different internal clients.
- Coding proficiency in Python and R programming languages and proficiency in SQL (PostgreSQL) and NoSQL are a plus
- Programming experience in Unix/Linux environment
- Basic knowledge of front-end development/api building in order to make the developed tools/software available to non-coders
- Experience working with cloud computing infrastructures will be a plus
- Developing codebases using distributed version control tools (especially Git)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills needed for working in an interdisciplinary team of scientists, programmers
Aanbod en voordelen
We offer an interesting job with a lot of variety and responsibilities in a dynamic young team of collaborators in a field with a lot of future. You will be working at the Technology Park 82/41 9052 Zwijnaarde, easily reachable by bike, car or public transportation.